St. Michael's Preschool will be closing with effect from Friday 22nd November 2019. Any information relating to preschool will be deleted from the website after this date. However, in some policies preschool may be mentioned - policies will be updated as soon as possible to reflect the closure of preschool.
At St. Michael’s Preschool we are passionate about each child’s wellbeing and development. We offer a high quality provision which is led by the observation of the children’s play and current interests.
By following the statutory framework of the Early Years Foundation the Preschool team provides a stimulating and enriching learning environment.
As part of St. Michael’s CE VA Primary School, we have the full range of school resources, ensuring positive links and enhancing the children’s experiences, a wild area, library, hall and playground with new climbing challenges and grass area. The Governing Body all share our enthusiasm in providing the very best child care provision within the area.
In the afternoon sessions the children experience an outdoor foundation stage curriculum which is led by a qualified Teacher/Level 3 forest school leader and Preschool assistant who are also qualified First Aiders. We take regular walks outside of the preschool where we engage in forest school sessions to explore the environment and learn about the various habitats. The children also work with tools in the wild area on the school grounds.
What benefits do children gain from participating in Forest Schools/Beach School?
Forest Schools/Beach School supports the holistic development of the child:
* Health and fitness – being active in an outdoor, natural environment.
* Increased emotional well-being.
* Social development – communicating and negotiating with peers and adults to solve problems and share experiences.
* Skills development – developing fine and gross motor skills and coordination for real purposes.
* Gaining knowledge and understanding – multi–sensory and real-life learning.
* Individualised learning – careful observation allows adults to tailor support to children’s own interests and stage of development.
Curriculum Links – forest schools supports many areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage framework and National Curriculum.
We are an Ofsted Registered preschool and, like our School, offer a robust Safeguarding policy and procedure. We are currently validated to accept children from the age of 2 years to 4 year olds. Every member of staff and our volunteers have Early Years and Teaching qualifications and are all DBS checked.
- To provide a safe, caring and welcoming learning environment for each child and parent/carer. Ensuring equality of opportunity for everyone
- To offer a well planned and stimulating pre-school setting
- To provide a high quality outdoor environment and Forest School style provision
- To welcome members of the community that can bring skills to the preschool
- To offer the children weekly wellie walks within our busy community
- To continue developing the children’s interests by playing alongside each child, observing their interests and planning future experiences to extend upon this
- To make the most of being part of St. Michael’s Primary CE VA Primary School, in order to use the school facilities and make a smooth transition from preschool to school
- To continue offering small group sizes so that there is a good staff/child ratio and a strong keyworker system