DfE Vision: All pupils leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills, and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
At St Michael’s Primary we strongly believe that all children should have access to a thoroughly planned, progressive physical education programme, which places a real emphasis on developing a wide range of physical competences, while encouraging healthy competition and teamwork. Throughout their time at St Michael’s Primary our teachers strive to equip all children with the necessary skills, knowledge, and range of physical experiences to motivate them to lead lifelong active, healthy lifestyles in which they continue their participation in physical activity and sport.
Our physical education curriculum is carefully planned to include a range of indoor and outdoor based lessons throughout the year and provides a varied and progressive learning programme. Appropriate provision is in place to support a range of learning needs and abilities and ensure positive outcomes for all children.
The aims of teaching PE in our school are:
• To participate in a wide range of sports and physical activities
• To develop and apply teamwork skills
• To develop resilience, determination and drive to achieve their best
• To compete in a range of competitive events
• To organise and lead their own activities, events, and games, where appropriate
• Develop and model the skills of ‘good sportsmanship’, including respect for rules and the ability to
win or lose gracefully.